Friday 2 May 2014

HEAD OVER HEELS!


Happy New Month Lovelies…I hope someone missed us? Cos we did miss you J. The write-up today is dedicated to all shopaholics (yep, that sometimes includes me..hehe), here it goes…

I like to think that I make good choices when it comes to purchasing clothes, shoes and accessories – although taking these from my sisters or mum still is waaaaaay easier than walking through shops and online stores! Well, while buying items for the kitchen and the house, I and my sister stumbled on a shoe store. The shoes were “OK” shoes, but they were good on the eyes, and there were lots of designer (... okay well, good brands!) flashing on them. About to dismiss the idea of wasting time and money on things that have no guarantee, my lustful eyes fell on a pair of satin red sandals. If you play Candy Crush the way the man says Divine is the absolute description. (It was DEEVVAAIINE!) It had a halo all around it, with its satin-covered-4”-heel-height, folded cover, little peep.

I was sure I could use it to go dancing, for weddings, maybe every occasion. My sister on the other hand was not impressed with it, she felt I had a lot and better red shoes, but she left me to gush. The bargaining began and I was going to pay. My sister tried to say that I may not use it as often as I thought; it wasn’t worth so much; I had few clothes that would need it, however I was too busy borrowing money from her to wonder about worth and value.



Shoes in hand, I was proud to show it off... Except that the only time I forced myself to wear it was with a blue dress (mismatched does not begin to describe my look that day), and that was the only time I used it. After a year, attacked by beneath-the-bed-dust, the shoes needed cleaning. Without any proper idea of how to clean satin shoes, I plopped them into soapy water to find that water made my red beauties peel. Nail polish tried to repair that damage but my shoes still sit – unused. Under the bed. Again!

Fashion buying advice is hard to adhere to because most of the time desire or lust confuses reasoning. Feelings are so unreliable and do not determine the rightness of a fashion buy. At that point of excitement no advice makes any logical sense even if the person giving you the advice was the editor of Vogue magazine. Usually, until the event ends in defiance, an “I told you so” moment, and maybe regrets... There is also the conceivable idea that we buy to prove a (non-existent) point – that we can afford some item in vogue – which in truth will probably not be used.
Thinking again, it is probably hard to define when some fashion item is important or unnecessary. 


Basic clues to know whether your purchase is worthy –

1.  Check its versatility. Can you harmonise with or match with other items in your wardrobe, especially so it can be used for other purposes? Is it irreplaceable?
2.      Lifestyle. Does it reflect your everyday life? Does it define your values?
3.      Money’s worth. Does it exceed your budget? Why buy something that goes bad in less than 3 months because it’s cheaper?

So using your HEAD over your love for heels (or any other buying choice for that matter) could protect you from falling head over heels (pun intended... twice!)! ;D



4 comments:

  1. Niceee writing. Good advice. Pun taken. Lool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pls can u take out d security words 1 has 2 type b4 they submit a comment. Also font size too large

    ReplyDelete